Featured post

Save Me Now Introduction

In December 2020, Paul McCartney released his McCartney 3 album. This was a collection of songs he created during lockdown with him writing ...

Saturday 10 August 2024

The First Hello


“I remember, oh so long ago. You had me at the first hello”.


This had to be the first song on the album just for that line alone.


There is quite a story to how this was written, as it started out completely different.


About a year ago I was in the mood to record some original music, but at the time I had a bad cold and could not sing a note. So I decided to set myself a challenge and try to write a classical piano instrumental. I ended up recording two pieces. The first is called ‘Song For the Lost’, which I was so very proud of.


The second is called ‘My New Sky’. Not for any other reason that I liked this as a title. There were no words because as I said before, these were to be instrumental tracks.


A few months later, I was listening back to My New Sky and I wondered if I could turn it into a song as I felt the melody was quite strong. So I set about writing some lyrics and recorded a lead vocal to a simplified piano backing track. 


I felt that it sounded quite special, almost operatic. However, it was not a ‘Nick Ryder’ song and I could not imagine it fitting alongside what I would normally write. Maybe one for a different project one day..


A few more months later I had come up with a song idea, and needed some lyrics. After a couple of days struggling to come up with anything, I remembered My New Sky and realised that most of the words to that song fit perfectly for this new song. And just like that, The First Hello was complete.


I wanted the chorus to be big, loud, simple and catchy because I was thinking of a live performance whilst I was writing this (and indeed the whole album). 


I was also thinking about the very first time I met my wife, Gemma. I can honestly say that on that night, she did indeed have me at the first hello. 


More often than not, once you come up with a story of what a song is about, it can end up writing itself, and this is certainly what happened here.


So there you go. If you’re still reading then I applaud you!!


All the links



Photography by Steve Dutton


No comments:

Post a Comment