Featured post

Save Me Now Introduction

In December 2020, Paul McCartney released his McCartney 3 album. This was a collection of songs he created during lockdown with him writing ...

Monday 2 September 2024

Not the One


I’d been invited to contribute some songs for a project that a friend of mine was working on which involved a girl singer. Talking to her about the project, I asked what kind of music she liked so that I could hopefully attempt to come up with something original that had a similar feel to what she liked to listen to and sing.

One of the artists she mentioned was Fleetwood Mac, so I listened to a few of their songs to put me in the mood.


For some songs, I can describe in great detail how I wrote them. What inspired me, how the melody was formed, how they were structured and then restructured.


However, with this it just kind of happened all in one go. I was thinking about Fleetwood Mac (I couldn’t say which song in particular) and came up with a very simple chord sequence. I sang some placeholder words which actually ended up in the finished song. I wish that happened more often as lyric writing is not something that comes easy to me.


I think the only major thing I changed was the final double chorus. I changed the final one to end in a slightly more positive tone. Kind of like a twist at the end.


The arrangement didn’t need much thinking as it’s a very simple electric guitar based song which will be very easy to recreate live.


So I’d recorded a good demo for the other project, but listening back to it I felt it was probably good enough to release, which is why I included it on my Anyway album.


The other version with the girl singer will be released as well with a slightly different sound due to other musicians playing on it, and I can’t wait to hear that when it is released.


SoundCloud


Photography by Kevin Petch

No comments:

Post a Comment