Featured post

Save Me Now Introduction

In December 2020, Paul McCartney released his McCartney 3 album. This was a collection of songs he created during lockdown with him writing ...

Friday 16 February 2024

Save Me Now



I set myself a challenge to write, record and mix a song in just one week, and I actually managed to finish this song in just six days. I have no idea how it happened but starting on a D chord is always a great way to start a song. 


Sometimes, songs literally do write themselves, once you have the first line. 


"What would you say, what would you do, if I walked away, would you sit and stay and watched me disappear into the blue"


I'm a big fan of harmony and backing vocals, and this song has an abundance of both. It's nice writing, recording and then hearing back the counterpoint harmonies which I think complement the lead vocal really well.


There's a stop after the first chorus and whilst the song is called 'Save Me Now', I deliberately omitted the word 'Now' as I think it clashed with the start of the guitar solo.


I'm not a natural lead guitar player, so I'm always nervous when it comes to reccording lead guitar lines. However, whilst ot perfect, this one happened really quickly as well. So much so that I continues recording in the end section of the songs which gives an almost question / answer effect with the lead vocal.

The chorus seemed to write itself. D to Dmaj7 round a few times and then down to an Em. What could go wrong?

Lyrically there’s nothing special here, but it tells a nice story I think.

Originally, I had programmed the drums and that version is the one which was completed in six days. Since then, the brilliant Steve Dutton recorded his real drums and then Matt Stockwell used these in his final album mix.

By sheer accident, this became the title track for the album. 

Thinking of a title can often be the hardest part but then I was thinking that this project really helped me get through the lockdown. It kind of kept me sane, so in a way it did 'save me'.

Spotify Link

Apple Music Link

Amazon Music Link

SoundCloud Link


No comments:

Post a Comment