Featured post

Save Me Now Introduction

In December 2020, Paul McCartney released his McCartney 3 album. This was a collection of songs he created during lockdown with him writing ...

Friday 12 July 2024

The Madness of the Broken and the Fools

 

The lockdown brought out the best in some people, and the very worst in others. I think it damaged friendships as some people, out of frustration, expressed their misguided views on the situation.

 

Misinformation was everywhere and conspiracies were rife. Some fell headfirst into some very dangerous rabbit holes.

 

Failed journalists were popping up everywhere offering the ‘truth’, and promised even more revelations if you only supported their channel financially. 

 

I had a chord progression which was a bit ‘James Bondy’ that I liked but was really struggling for words. And then it suddenly hit me. I had all the material I needed on Facebook. I made metal notes of people’s crazy posts, their attitudes, circumstances, and demeanour. From here, the song pretty much wrote itself.

 

However, that was not the end of it. I had to come up with an arrangement to compliment the rest of the song, and that’s where the fun really started.

 

It was important to me to build a soundscape, a journey as it were and to somehow convey the madness of paranoia which the world was seeing on a daily basis. This was a big production and one which I threw everything at. I even think there may be a kitchen sink in there somewhere.

 

Because of the nature of the song and its arrangement, I do know this was not easy for Matt to mix and I have lost count of how many different mixes there are. He’s added things, taken them away, resampled snare drums, mixed in sound effects. You name it, he’s done it but I can tell you that this finished version was well worth the wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment